Greater New York Intergroup provides information to sex and love addicts seeking help in the New York City, Long Island, Hudson Valley and Northern New Jersey area.
Intergroup consists of trusted servants from local meetings who serve in accordance with the Ninth Tradition: “S.L.A.A. as such ought never to be organized; but we may create service boards or committees directly responsible to those they serve.”
What does Greater New York Intergroup do?Greater New York Intergroup of SLAA performs a number of functions that help get the word out to sex and love addicts about our fellowship, and provides crucial tools to those already in it. Among other things, GNYI:
- Creates and maintains a website with a list of all meetings, as well as other documents, such as questions for self-diagnosis;
- Creates and maintains a Meeting List with all current meetings, Steps, Traditions, opening preamble, and other elements essential for those in program and those interested in it;
- Funds and helps organize New York-area SLAA events such as Share-a-Day and Step Workshops;
- Sends and pays for individuals to attend the Fellowship-wide Annual Business Meeting for SLAA’s global fellowship;
- Listens to needs of people in recovery and individual meetings and, where appropriate, according to the Fourth Tradition, provides resources, suggestions, and guidance to help them function effectively;
- Serves to create a broader community, so that individuals in disparate meetings may be in touch with their fellows in other local-area meetings
- You can see our minutes from last meeting here
How to become an Intergroup Rep, and what are the responsibilities?
- Intergroup Reps are members of SLAA, who volunteer and are confirmed by their home group to represent the home group on matters discussed at the SLAA bi-monthly Intergroup business meeting.
- Intergroup Reps are volunteers who have been members of SLAA for atleast 90 days, and who are regular attendee of the meeting they are representing. The term length for the Intergroup Rep is set by the meeting they are representing - typically 3 or 6 month terms. Intergroup Reps will cast the vote of their group in matters representing SLAA NY as a whole, and announce at their regular meeting, the information from SLAA NY Intergroup.
- Intergroup meetings typically are held the first Sunday of the month, beginning in January. Exact times and dates are always posted on the front of the website, on our home page.
- Intergroup Reps can request to be included on our email list by sending a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Intergroup business meetings are run using an adaptation of "Roberts Rules of Order', a short book that provides a simple introduction to parliamentary procedures, to help organizations run more smoothly. Please click here for a copy of the guidelines. "Unofficial Robert's Rules Helper".
- For reference, please click here for a copy of the most current BY-LAWS, used by INTERGROUP.
We thank you very much for your continued service and support!